Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Workman Line - An Overview

My paternal grandmother is Nellie Joyce Tomblin Cummons. Her parents were Ebb Tomblin and Mary Workman. Mamaw Mary was the sweetest, most generous, hardworking woman I've ever known. She was a farm wife, working hard on the family's dairy farm in southern Ohio. I know everyone has had one of those grandmother's who can read minds, and Mamaw Mary was no exeception: "Put a sweater on. You're freezing!" "Eat another helping of (insert food item cooked in lard), you're still hungry!"
Much of my vocabulary was learned from Mamaw Mary. When a cool autumn breeze gave a sudden chill, Mamaw would say, "Boozy!" You never wore your farm clothes into town, because you didn't want to look "Jakey". And if you needed to be somewhere, but were running a bit behind, you'd be there "D'reckly".
In 1990, our family lost Mamaw Mary, and we couldn't imagine life without her. I was just 16 at the time, and it's only now, twenty years later, that I've began to wonder about Mary Workman Tomblin before she was a sweet, grey-haired old lady. So my search has started. Hopefully over the next few posts, I'll be able to share some of the history I've learned about Mamaw, and also her mother, Inez Dempsey. But for now, here's a look at the Workman line, as discovered through ancestry.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment