Sunday, May 9, 2010

Matrilineal Mother's Day

I saw this challenge on Bill West's Blog - West in New England, and thought it would be a fun little exercise on Mother's Day. I'll admit, I tend to pay more attention to the male lines in my research, my father's Cummons line, and my maternal grandfather's Malone line in particular, and sometimes those wonderful women who contributed to my DNA are left behind. Bill's blog gave this challenge:

"Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) List your matrilineal line - your mother, her mother, etc. back to the first identifiable mother. Note: this line is how your mitochondrial DNA was passed to you!

2) Tell us if you have had your mitochondrial DNA tested, and if so, which Haplogroup you are in.

3) Post your responses on your own blog post, in Comments to this blog post, or in a Note or status line on Facebook."


I have never had the DNA testing done, although I would love to, but here is my matrilineal line, at least as far as I've been able to uncover it on ancestry.com

Beginning with my mother:
Carolyn Y. Malone (1955- present) m. Robert A Cummons
Margaret Y. Evans (1928? - present) m. Eugene G Malone
Nannie Carroll (1895-1980) m. Harvey Evans
Phoebe Ellen Smith (1870-1957) m. John Morgan Carroll
Martha Osborn (1845 - ?) m. Peter Smith
Phebe Lewis (1811 - ??) m. Lewis Osborn
Rachel Henson (1783-1987) m. John Lewis
Mary Polly Lewis (1796-1880) m. James Henson
Winetry Winnie Henson (1760-1824) m. James Theophilus Lewis
Elizabeth (?) (1738_?) m. Paul Henson

This trail of ladies began in North Carolina, moved into Kentucky, and later to Ohio. What a celebration of mothers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment