Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Genea-Goals for 2011

It's time I get some direction with this blog, and decide where I want to go, and what I want to accomplish this year!

1. I would like to organize my blog by family names, if possible. I tend to jump around with my research, and I think it gets confusing when going back and reading through my blog. I see that you can add stand alone pages, but I'm not sure if that's what I need or not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. I need to branch out. I rely so heavily on ancestry.com that when, like now, I have an expired subscription, I flounder, and my research comes to a stand still. I've been to other sites, had some good finds with a free trial on footnote.com, but I keep coming back to ancestry.

3. I want to blog at least once a week about my ancestry. Even if I haven't uncovered any new information, there are stories to be told, people who need to be remembered. They deserve my attention.

4. I want to research "on location" for my Cummons ancestors, firstly in Huntington, WVA, and then on to Guilford County, North Carolina. I've never done any hands on research before, and won't even know where to begin searching court house records and such like, but I can't help but wonder what treasures are out there that haven't made it to the internet yet!

5. Hopefully, if I can achieve goals 1-4, it will lead me to goal number 5... find concrete information on the parents of James Hamilton Cummons, and with any luck, be able to pinpoint where in Ireland my Cummons ancestors came from, and when they made it to the states!

Well, that's a lot to accomplish, but seeing it all spelled out gives me hope that I'm moving in the right direction! It's time to get my genealogy boots back on!

4 comments:

  1. I tried creating an index for my blog - easier said than done. The labels feature works OK and I see you have already added it. You could use that to create a more highlighted side bar section of your main surnames.

    I hope you are using FamilySearch.org while your Ancestry membership is lapsed. They have lots of records that ancestry doesn't.

    Good luck on attaining your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I rely too much on Ancestry. Branching out and exploring other websites is a great goal....I think I'll add it to my list for 2011! And I agree with Apple, I LOVE familysearch.org!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had used familysearch.org early on, but for some reason haven't been back in a while... thanks for the suggestion ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals. I wish you much genealogy success in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete